Your kitchen cabinets are one of the most important parts of your home – and a vital part of your kitchen. The kitchen cabinets in any kitchen frame the kitchen design provide storage and functionality for the kitchen. There are many different kitchen cabinet manufacturers, designs and materials, choosing cabinets can be overwhelming. This blog will provide tips as you begin exploring kitchen cabinetry and offer ideas to help you choose quality kitchen cabinetry that will last for years to come.
Finance a kitchen for as low as $120 a month!
Contact us today to get started on your dream kitchen and cabinets!
1. PICK YOUR STYLE.
The first step in choosing kitchen cabinetry is to identify the overall style and vision of your kitchen remodel. Are you considering a modern, trendy kitchen? A minimalist kitchen with crisp lines and a clean design? A rustic kitchen with lots of wood and functionality? Because kitchen cabinetry creates the frame for the kitchen design and is often the focal point of the kitchen, it is important that it matches your overall vision for your kitchen.
2. CHOOSE YOUR MATERIALS.
Once you’ve identified the style and overall vision of your kitchen remodel, it’s time to choose the finishing of the cabinets and doors that will match that style and vision. If you are designing a rustic kitchen, you might consider rustic wood paneled cabinets. If your design is more modern, you might want to consider laminate or lacquer cabinets.
TYPES OF CABINETS
When you begin researching cabinets for your kitchen remodel, you will notice there are three major types of kitchen cabinets:
- STOCKThese are cabinets offered by manufacturers as a quick and affordable solution to kitchen remodeling. These cabinets are available in a limited number of colours, designs and use specific materials. These cabinets are made to fit the most common cabinet sizes.
- CUSTOMCustomer kitchen cabinets are generally of the highest quality and offer the best selection. These cabinets are made by a professional cabinet maker and generally use the highest quality materials. Professional cabinet makers are able to create cabinets that meet any size and need in the largest variety of colour, design and selection. Custom cabinets offer the best quality cabinets but are expensive.
- SEMI-CUSTOMSemi-custom cabinets are built to order by manufacturers and offer more choices and design selections than stock cabinets. These are still limited in the materials and quality of the cabinets.MATERIALS USED IN CABINETS
- NATURAL WOODThe biggest consideration when deciding on quality kitchen cabinetry is the materials used. Natural wood cabinets offer the quality, durability and natural beauty. The most popular wood cabinets include cherry, oak and maple. Wood cabinets have a reputation of resilience, durability and a natural beauty unmatched by manufactured cabinetry. However, wood cabinets also have some limitations in colour, selection and finishing.
- MANUFACTURED CABINETRYManufactured cabinetry offers a wider range and selection of materials, finishes and selections. There is a broad range of manufactured cabinets such as laminate, veneer and aluminum. Depending on the style of your kitchen, you can choose from a large selection of manufactured cabinetry.
Custom cabinetry offers the most quality. By hiring a professional cabinet maker, you are able to choose cabinets that offer the most quality, durability and functionality for your kitchen. You are also able to work with your cabinet maker to choose the materials that will match the vision you have for your kitchen remodel. Cabinet makers also offer a wide selection of material choices, design ability and finishing options for your cabinets.
Regardless of the type of cabinets you choose, one of the most important ways to ensure you’re buying quality cabinetry is to ensure the frame of the cabinet is made out of durable, quality materials such as wood. Particle board frames are not as durable as all-wood frames and indicates a lesser quality of cabinetry. A custom cabinet maker will work with you to ensure your cabinets are created with materials that will last.
If you want to explore kitchen cabinetry options or work with a designer to create the kitchen of your dreams, contact MCK Kitchen and Bath today