Posted on 17-July-2014 | Category: Hardware
Brass faucets are a beautiful addition to kitchens and bathrooms. They provide a classic and sophisticated feel to your home and brighten up your sinks.
As lovely as brass is, the downside is that it tarnishes. When brass loses its dazzle, it appears dull and sometimes even decayed. But the good news is, that corroded look is only temporary. You just need some effective tips to take care of your brass faucets so they gleam and sparkle once again.
How Do I Maintain That Sparkle?
Try these easy and effective methods to bring back that shine!
- Routine Cleaning – Running a damp cloth over your brass is really all it takes to bring out the shine. The key is to do it consistently to avoid tarnishing. Avoid abrasive cleaners, as they can actually damage the brass.
- Avoid Tarnish – Most hardware stores have great products for cleaning your brass. If you prefer a natural approach, vinegar works well. It breaks down the tarnish and makes it easy to simply wipe away.
- Ketchup – Seriously! The citric acid in ketchup helps to break down the tarnish. Gently rub ketchup onto the brass and wipe away with a damp cloth.
- Make Your Own Polish – Simply mix a teaspoon of salt, three tablespoons of flour, and a half cup of distilled vinegar. Rub the mixture on your faucet, let it sit for ten minutes and then wipe it away. Your brass will be clean and shiny again.
Anything I Should Avoid?
Caring for brass is relatively simple but there are a few things to watch out for.
- Be Careful with Fingerprints – Oils from fingers touching brass can leave prints that may show up several months later. When cleaning brass, always wear gloves.
- Follow Instructions Closely – When using varnish remover, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and heed any warnings. These pro ducts are typically flammable, so keep them away from open flames. Always wear rubber gloves to protect your skin.
- Avoid Excessive Cleaning – Don’t overdo it. And avoid abrasive cleaners on your brass. They can cause permanent damage.
MCK is dedicated to transforming the rooms in your home into the rooms of your dreams, call us in Burnside at 902-468-6453, or in Bayers Lake at 902-445-5736 and let us show you how we can help!
Back to main